Keep these helpful tips to make the packing and storing of your belongings a snap, and to avoid damage that may occur due to improper packing.
- Use furniture drawers to hold delicates or breakables; small picture frames, plates, glass items, etc. Wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper for extra protection.
- When packing toys or smaller items, fill the boxes boxes completely. The box may collapse if not filled all the way. Stuff open areas with clothing, newspaper, etc.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible (such as paint, chemicals, or propane) or perishable (such as food that is not permanently sealed; you don't want to feed unwanted guests).
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain all fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage (gasoline is also a combustible material).
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Abbey Road Storage supplies your lock for you with your unit, however, we also sell locks on-site; ask the On-Site Manager for details.
- Store furniture carefully on boards or pallets.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces or stand up as straight as possible to avoid damage to springs.
- Store small items like pots and pans in large appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators if possible.
- Remove legs from large furniture (like tabletops and sofas) and store on end to save space.
- Use protective covers on items and treat wood surfaces with oil before storing.
- When storing business files, label all boxes and construct aisles so files are easily seen and accessible. Stack at least 1 foot from the floor.
We hope you have found our tips useful. Please contact us if you have any other questions.